Mangotsfield is an urban area and former village in South Gloucestershire, to the north-east of Bristol. The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book in 1086 as Manegodesfelle, and as Manegodesfeld in 1377. Between 1845 and 1966 the village was served by Mangotsfield railway station. Until the 19th century Mangotsfield was the principal settlement in a large ancient parish, which also included the hamlets of Downend and Staple Hill to the west of the village, and Emersons Green, Vinny Green, Blackhorse and Moorend to the north. The parish became the civil parish of Mangotsfield in 1866.
In the early 20th century Downend and Staple Hill were developed into suburbs of Bristol and outgrew the village of Mangotsfield. In 1974 it became part of Kingswood Borough in the new county of Avon. When Avon was abolished in 1996 the whole of Kingswood Borough joined South Gloucestershire.
The parish church of St James, in whose church hall we hold our meetings, dates from the 13th century, but was rebuilt and altered in the 19th century. It is a Grade II* listed building.